Mon, 24 Nov 2014 08:57:10 GMT
Here's my story by 717seethelight then there's more !!!
Read More »
Health Benefits of Iodine
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Health Benefits of Iodine

1. View Post #1
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 308 Times
    in 96 Posts

Health Benefits of Iodine

I am only posting this as I had a great Aunt who swore by iodine drops. She starting taking pure iodine drops by one drop in a glass of water, and worked herself up to a teaspoon. She lived to be over 100 years, and did not die of cancer.

I feel it is time for me to add this regime to my daily requirements, and I am not saying this lightly.

Iodine is an essential trace element that is essential for the normal growth and development. Around 60% of the iodine in the body is stored in the thyroid gland. The health benefits of iodine play a very important role in the normal functioning of the thyroid glands, which secretes thyroid hormones that control the basic metabolic rate of the body.

Iodine controls the functioning of thyroid glands in human body, which in turn has a significant influence on the metabolic processes in the body. The health benefits of iodine help in the optimum utilization of calories thereby preventing its storage as excess fats. Other benefits of iodine are removal of toxins from the body and assistance for the system in utilizing calcium and silicon.

Deficiency symptoms: Deficiency of iodine can have serious effects. The symptoms of iodine deficiency include frustration, depression, mental retardation, poor perception levels, goiter, abnormal weight gain, decreased fertility, coarse skin, chances of still birth in expectant mothers, constipation and fatigue. In severe cases mental retardation associated with diseases such as cretinism, characterized by serious physical malformations, could be the result. According to WHO reports, iodine deficiency is one of the leading causes of mental retardation all over.

Important Sources: Iodine is present in large quantities in both marine plant and animals, including shellfish, white deep-water fish, and brown seaweed kelp, which can absorb iodine from sea water. Make sure to include abundant quantities of canned sardines, canned tuna, lobster, oyster, clams, cod, haddock, halibut, herring perch, salmon, sea bass, and shrimp. Dulse, kelp, and seaweed also contain dietary iodine. Garlic, lima beans, Swiss chard, summer squash, sesame seeds, soybeans, turnip greens and spinach are rich in iodine. Iodized salt is another important source of iodine. Bakers add iodine to bread dough as a stabilizing agent.

* Energy level: It also plays an important role in maintaining optimum energy levels of the body by ensuring optimum utilization of calories, without allowing them to be deposited as excess fats.
    * Healthy nails, hair and teeth: The health benefits of iodine include formation of healthy and shiny skin, teeth and hair. Iodine is an important element for haircare as lack of this mineral can result in hair loss. Moreover, it also aids hair growth.
    * Reproductive system: Iodine helps in the normal growth and maturity of reproductive organs. Sufficient quantity of iodine in pregnant women is essential to prevent still births or neurocognitive conditions like cretinism in the babies. It also ensures proper movement and growth, along with speech and hearing in babies.
    * Fibrocystic disease: Iodine can significantly reduce conditions like fibrosis, turgidity and breast tenderness. Iodine acts as a relief for fibrocystic diseases and is widely used even in therapies.
    * Iodine programmed cell death: Iodine ensures the apoptosis or the programmed cell death which is essential in the formation of new organs as well as in the removal of malignant cells like cancer cells or diseased cells, which might prove harmful to the individual.
    * Anti-cancer properties: Probably, the most important health benefits of iodine apart from thyroidal influence are its anti-cancer properties. Studies have shown that cancer cells when administered with iodine shrink.
    * Iodine removes toxic chemicals: Iodine can flush out chemical toxins like fluoride, lead, mercury etc., apart from biological toxins and can strengthen immune system. It also prevents the proliferation of harmful bacteria in the stomach.
    * Thyroid and Goitre disorders: Iodine deficiency is the basic cause of Goitre as widely known. You can have eggs, salt, sea food, dairy products to facilitate the reduction of iodine deficiency which works as a cure for enlarged thyroid gland.

Iodine overdose of more than 2,000 mg could be dangerous especially in people suffering from kidney ailments or tuberculosis. When taken in excess it might result in thyroid papillary cancer. Pregnant women and nursing mothers should be cautious not to take iodine more than the prescribed dosage.
    http://www.organicfacts.net/health-b...of-iodine.html

Similar Threads:

2. View Post #2
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 44 Times
    in 24 Posts

Re: Health Benefits of Iodine

Hi Rosie,

This is of interest to me as I had Graves disease and was treated by radioactive iodine and was given to much so went hypothyroid and take Synthroid .01 daily since 1986. I am tired a lot and do have Lugols iodine but have been afraid to medicate muyself..one health store owner told me to take a few drops a day but my doctor said that was too much since my thyroid has been distroyed to a degree...I would like to know what would be helpful without sending up my heartrate and all that is associated with hyperthyroid (which is what I had originally) and was awful.

So if anyone here is a doctor with a lot of knowledge about my situation and if or how much I should take, please let me know.

Love & Gratitude,
    Rainbowstar

3. View Post #3
    Canada Prolific Member Going by's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,815 Times
    in 973 Posts

I was just prescribed Synthroid at low dosage. Would you think that iodine would solve the problem? I also have cyst on the gland (not cancerous but ambivalent cells).

What is the impact on the kidneys?

4. View Post #4
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times
    in 519 Posts

I have been taking two drops daily, except when I forget, since shortly after Fukushima. Nothing to report, I am just doing it for better health and some prophylaxis against radioactive Iodine fallout.

It is handy to have if potability of water is questionable. A lot handier than carrying lemons around. Better storage too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Modwiz For This Useful Post:

Going by (12th July 2011)

6. View Post #5
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 734 Times
    in 234 Posts

i have been taking lugols since fukushima. i am not ingesting it though, i am "painting" the soles of my feet. i had/have been a bit nervous to ingest it. i must say after doing it the first time i had a wonderful increase in energy and felt like something had lifted. i have been doing it ever since. when you do it topically if it disappears quickly it means you are deficient and the opposite hold true, if it stays stained for a long time you are not that deficient. it just makes me feel better!!

belief drives behavior.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sllim11 For This Useful Post:

Going by (12th July 2011), Modwiz (12th July 2011)

8. View Post #6
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 308 Times
    in 96 Posts

I have found some discussion on iodine on a natural health site, see link below. Many extra tips for iodine uses included.

They do advise a simple test for iodine deficiency, which I had not seen before, good to know!

http://www.natmedtalk.com/vitamins/3...ne-dosage.html

9. View Post #7
    United States Inactive Warponies's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 910 Times
    in 271 Posts

Put it on the bottom of your horses hooves.(if you have them that its) . Poor man shoes. Toughens their feet up so you don't need to shoe unless you are rigorously eventing, jumping or whatever. For casual riding about it keeps them from being ouchie footed on small stones and gravel.

10. View Post #8
    Prolific Member Senior Nexian Akhenaten's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,831 Times
    in 1,751 Posts

I always used diluted bleach on my horses feet the kill the bacteria

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Akhenaten For This Useful Post:

Modwiz (13th July 2011)

12. View Post #9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 910 Times
    in 271 Posts

I think I'll try a weak solution of bleach Liiam's boot. He's always abcessing and it just keep getting re-infected. Keep a boot on him and let him slosh around in for a day or so ....

13. View Post #10
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,831 Times
    in 1,751 Posts

When I was doing hoof care in the AMs if it looked like some stuff was starting to grow in the frog of the foot I used to pour a dilute bleach solution and it worked real good.........it is not good as you know for horses to stand around in damp earth.....they are a desert animal and their feet do not like being wet.......the frog of the hooves must be brushed and cleaned out regularly and disinfected AND KEPT DRY.......also hooves must be kept clipped properly so they do not crack along the edges or - if overgrown, start foundering.......but if you have horses I am sure you know all that and more. Also - a tip, from personal experience..........if by chance AND I HOPE THIS NEVER HAPPENS BECAUSE IT IS A HORRIBLE EMERGENCY your horse should get into the green grass or eat lots of apples and get a big stomache ache (colic) a serious condition for horses as you know because unlike other animals they cannot vomit, get them up on their feet if they are lying down rolling AND POUR A DILUTED MIXTURE OF PEPTOBISMOL - yes peptobismol, that pink stuff, down their throat to neutralize the acid and bubbles................I had to do that and it worked real good. I used one whole bottle for one case of colic.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Akhenaten For This Useful Post:

lightblue (13th July 2011), Modwiz (13th July 2011)

15. View Post #11
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 44 Times
    in 24 Posts

Great thread,
    I have lugol's iodine but afraid to take it because many years ago an endocrinologist gave me radioactive iodine for hyperthyroidism which did not respond to medication. However, he gave me too large a dose and I went hypothyroid and have had to use Synthroid since 1986, a form of thyroid supplementation. I think that to add lugols may be dangerous. A friend who howned a health food store said it was ok to take a few drops a day but when i spoke to my doctor and he talked about how much one drop would be it wassuggested I take 1 drop every other day but I have not done that because I fear reaction like racing heartbeat or something. I think you are all talking about thyroid problems that have not been given radio actvie iodine...any form of knowledge and encouragement would help me as I really eat no shellfish or fish and know I am defecient in ioden. My doctor told me of the patch test which I did with Lugols and the stain was gone in one hour!

Sincerely,
    Rainbowstar

16. View Post #12
    Prolific Member Senior Nexian lightblue's Avatar
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,640 Times
    in 1,560 Posts

is there a difference between lugol's and regular iodine tincture? l

17. View Post #13
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,001 Times
    in 519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lightblue View Post
    is there a difference between lugol's and regular iodine tincture? l

I believe Lugol's contains potassium also.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Modwiz For This Useful Post:

lightblue (13th July 2011)

19. View Post #14
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 910 Times
    in 271 Posts

Must be the week for odd vet tips....I passed on the pepto tip, grabbed a bottle of it to have on hand even though we don't have colic problems (hooves seem to be our cross to bear, they're all rescue horses ) because we don't make them neurotic but one never knows, the green apples are coming in. I blame conditions like overstabling and not being allowed to be horses, for colic. We don't have kickers, biters, cribbers, or maniacs because they only come inside when its really bad weather (lightening storms/ tornadoes)or to be fed. Otherwise they are out all day and night. When I was in eventing barns and they were stabled all the time and only let out for short periods I had colics three or four times a week.

Diluted bleach in boot, waiting to see what happens.

The vet gave us one of those "you dind't hear it from me tips" For dogs or any animal with heartworm. Horse wormer. The Ivermectin kind, the sort you worm with monthly, the sort of that costs about three bucks a tube....a bit of that , and then a follow up with some goat wormer....A few bucks as opposed to a thousand dollars.

Sad they job concerned animals owners that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten View Post
    When I was doing hoof care in the AMs if it looked like some stuff was starting to grow in the frog of the foot I used to pour a dilute bleach solution and it worked real good.........it is not good as you know for horses to stand around in damp earth.....they are a desert animal and their feet do not like being wet.......the frog of the hooves must be brushed and cleaned out regularly and disinfected AND KEPT DRY.......also hooves must be kept clipped properly so they do not crack along the edges or - if overgrown, start foundering.......but if you have horses I am sure you know all that and more. Also - a tip, from personal experience..........if by chance AND I HOPE THIS NEVER HAPPENS BECAUSE IT IS A HORRIBLE EMERGENCY your horse should get into the green grass or eat lots of apples and get a big stomache ache (colic) a serious condition for horses as you know because unlike other animals they cannot vomit, get them up on their feet if they are lying down rolling AND POUR A DILUTED MIXTURE OF PEPTOBISMOL - yes peptobismol, that pink stuff, down their throat to neutralize the acid and bubbles................I had to do that and it worked real good. I used one whole bottle for one case of colic.

20. View Post #15
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,831 Times
    in 1,751 Posts

Wild Ponies thanks for the tip on wormers meds......now I have a horse vet question for you: years ago a guy mentioned to me (wish I had written it down at the time) that there was a common vet med used for cancer in horses and that it worked VERY WELL, so well in fact that he always wondered why it wasn't at least tried on humans. Have you ever heard of that by chance? Can't remember if it was given topically, i.e. rubbed on a skin lesion, or whether it was something that you pour down their throats. I could kick myself for not writing it down at the time. In the NE US where horses are usually stabled most of the time in Winter and where during that time they are fed hay and some grain, you have to be very careful letting them out to pasture in the Spring. Of course they want to run over and stuff themselves with all that fragrant green grass, but eating too much of it at a time can give them very bad colic, similarly if they happen to get into a pasture where an apple tree has dropped fruit on the ground......they just can't control themselves. Usually in that situation you gradually introduce them to pasturage, building the time they spend there over a few weeks so their systems get used to all that chlorophyl and sugar. Akh

p.s. I asked a vet and they couldn't tell me but do you know why humans don't get heartworm? We sure get bit by mosquitos enough! Do you suppose our bloodstreams are too gunked up with crap for the little microflaria to survive?!!! If we feed our dogs McDonald's frequently maybe that would be cheaper than heartworm meds! A plain burger on a bun is .96 a dose!!!

21. View Post #16
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 910 Times
    in 271 Posts

I have no idea why we don't get heartworms, unless it has to do with our PH but ...its a good question. Toxicity that other animals don't ingest? What sorts of animals get heartworms.....as far as I know mostly carnivorous...I may be wrong. Most people are not wholly carninvorous....something worth looking into ....why don't we get potomac fever and things like that as well. I know the VMA recommends heart worm preventative for cats but most vets have told me cats don't get it so that sorta blows the carnivore thingy. I'm curious enough to speculate on it a bit.

I don't know of any pharma medications for cancer for horses..... I know they exist, but I treat horse cancers the same way I do human cancers so don't really go there, depending on what sort of cancer it is internal or external, but I'll ask people who do or have . Am curious myself. More than likely that its easy to circumvent the prescription too as most animal pharma is.

Our horses are never stabled so are able to acclimatize to spring growth on a daily basis, if things get too lush too fast, we move them to a less abundant pasture. It rained so much this last spring that it was difficult to keep any pasture, they were tearing the grass out by its roots it was so soupy out there.

I've done a few day of bleach water, and iodine and epsom salts on Liiam. He feels well enough I had to put a nose chain on him as he was getting overbearing and pushy with me the way he wasn't even just last Sunday. I lunged him today and he is just a little tender instead of dead lame like he was. Not wanting to try him just yet give him another week or so, his hooves are so brittle now from flogging at them with everything.....plus its been hugely dry out.

22. View Post #17
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,831 Times
    in 1,751 Posts

I am glad your boy is at least feeling a little better! Damn I am really p***ed at myself for not taking the time to write down that info on a simple and very reliable cancer treatment that all the old boys used to use on horses............you know what? I don't even think it was a pharmaceutical med, just one of those old over-the-counter type remedies. Better be careful the hooves don't get too dry and crack/split! I am wondering about inflammatory processes in the horses' hooves/frog/foot bones........I wonder if there is a simple homeopathic remedy that could be used to calm down any inflammation that is lurking in there? Best wishes, Akh

p.s. What about a web-search on simple anti-inflammatory remedies? Man I have got to say that weighing 1,000 lbs or more sitting on four slim and delicate sore feet is NOT a lot of fun. Poor boy.

23. View Post #18
    unregestered

On one hand its stated that the old Aunt worked herself up to a teaspoon a day of iodine and lived to 100 without cancer, and on the other hand there is a warning about the negative affects of large doses.

Me personally, I have been taking 25 drops of Lugols per day in coconut water, and have never felt better.

great article

+ Reply to Thread

Visitors found this page by searching for:

benefits iodine

health food store iodine drops

lugols iodine benefits

lugols iodine for dogs

benefits of taking lugols iodine

benefits from taking iodine

1 drop of iodine daily

iodine and benefits

iodine on soles of feet