DUNCAN – The Ada High School men’s tennis team won the championship Wednesday at the Duncan Invitational.
The Cougars totaled 65 points to win the title. The host Demons finished second at 56, followed by Lawton Eisenhower at 53, Edmond Santa Fe at 52 and the Byng Pirates at 47.
It was the fifth tournament championship the Ada boys have brought home so far this spring.
“The boys had a great day at Duncan. Everyone played hard and competed,” said Ada head coach Terry Swopes.
Ada won individual No. 1 singles, No. 2 singles, and No. 2 doubles championships and finished third in what Swopes called “a loaded No. 1 doubles draw.”
The Cougars faced strong winds throughout the day.
“It was windy, but the boys handled it and played through it,” Swopes said. “It was a good day. We even brought in four more players to gain experience and all of them got medals.
Sophomore Halton Redwine beat Guthrie’s Zale Coleman-Hill 6-0, 6-1 to win the No. 1 singles title. Ada’s Trenton Hensley finished ninth in the No. 1 singles draw with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Byng’s Devon Smith.
In singles No. 2, second Drew Lillard shut out Guthrie’s Lane Goode 6-0, 6-0 in the title match. Ada’s Anthony Towers edged Duncan’s Brady Earsom 6-4, 6-0 for ninth place.
The Ada team of sophomore Brady Bacon and senior Boady Ross rallied against Duncan’s Curry and Spoering 3-6, 6-1, 12-10 in a thrilling match for the No. 2 doubles title.
Ada’s No. 1 doubles team, consisting of two sophomores, Tate Danielson and Jackson Swopes, took third place with a default victory over the Emond Santa Fe team of Cupton and Wolff.
Two other Ada sophomores – Daxton Dorman and Bladen Johnson, beat Cortez and Matthews de Guthrie 6-4, 6-3 in the No. 1 doubles ninth-place match.
It looked like a busy weekend for the Cougars, who played at the Heritage Hall Quad on Friday and are at the Ardmore Invitational today.
Editor’s note: No individual Byng results from the Duncan Tournament were available at the time of printing.
Wednesday 6 April
At the Duncan Tournament
3. Lawton Ike 53
4. Edmond Santa Fe 52
6. Guthrie 47
8. Lawton Mac 34
9. BYNG II 33
10. Duncan II 27
11.ADA II 24
Ada Individual Results
1. Halston Redwine (Ada) def. Zale Coleman-Hill (Guthrie) 6-0.6-1 (1st place)
1. Trenton Hensley (Ada II) def. Devon Smith (Byng II) 6-2.6-1 (9th place)
2. Drew Lillard (Ada) def. Lane Goode (Guthrie) 6-0.6-0 (1st place)
2. Anthony Towers (Ada) def. Brady Earsom (Duncan II) 6-4.6-0 (9th place)
1. Tate Danielson/Jackson Swopes (Ada) won. Cupton/Wolff (Edmond Santa Fe) out of injury (3rd place)
1. Dax Dorman/Bladen Johnson (Ada II) def. Cortez/Matthews (Guthrie) 6-4.6-3 (9th place)
2. Brady Bacon/Boady Ross (Ada) beat. Curry/Spoering (Duncan) 3-6.6-1.12-10 (1st Place)